Saturday, September 29, 2007

What things cost

Now that we've made several trips to our local grocery store (the Super GB, which looks much like a small to medium-sized store in the U.S.), I've compiled a list of what some common items cost here. It's been interesting to see how some things such as bread, wine and coffee are cheaper, while other items like chicken and batteries are quite a bit more expensive. I used a conversion rate of $1.45=€1, which is abysmal but sadly is about what you'd actually pay nowadays if you were to pay by credit card or withdrawal the money from an ATM. Also, these prices include tax, so if you happen to not live in a sales tax-free state you'd need to add that to make a good comparison.

So here's the list:
Bananas, 6 medium $1.77
Granny smith apples, 6 medium $3.28
Broccoli, 500g (one small head) $2.16
Small yellow onion $0.20
Vine-ripened tomatoes, 3 medium $1.33
One liter lowfat milk $1.64
One loaf sliced wheat bread (the cheapest one they sell, but still good!) $.85
Edam sliced cheese, 9 slices $2.16
Ground beef, .38 kg (.84 lb) $4.32
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, .89kg (1.95 lb) $11.05
One jar (500 ml/16.9 oz.) Bertolli tomato & basil pasta sauce $2.81
Coffee, 250g (.55 lb) - gourmet, from Colombia, Java, etc. $3.16
Coke zero, six pack of 1.5 L bottles $12.89
Leffe blonde beer, six pack of 330ml (11.16 oz) bottles $6.71
One bottle Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Shiraz/Cabernet, 2006 $7.24
One bottle JeanJean Vin de Pays d'Oc Chardonnay, 2006 $5.39
4-pack Duracell AA batteries $13.04 (ouch! good thing we stocked up in the States)

There are also a few things we haven't been able to find here yet, perhaps because they just aren't used in this country. Non-stick cooking spray (like Pam) is one of them - we definitely miss it when it comes time to do the dishes! We also haven't found any black beans or sliced cheddar or American cheese. We've tried a few things we've never had before though, including voul au vent - it's similar to chicken pot pie, but there's no crust, it's just sold in a jar or plastic container and eaten with bread. The jar we bought cost $3.90 and was 500ml.

Anyway, I thought you might find it interesting to see what things cost here. If there's a specific item you're curious about let me know and I'll be happy to report back!

3 comments:

Miz K said...

Excellent post - as son as we get settled and I get to stock the fridge, I'll post a similar list with Swiss prices. the biggest thing we've notice is that drinks are outrageously expensive in restaurants but actually about the same price as in the US from gas stations and groceries. Long live the gas station Coke Zero! 1.10 francs! Thanks also for the blog shout-out! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to warn Jim about that Coke-Zero prices...YIKES! Did you want me to ship you some Pam? I wonder if I can mail that to you....
ANYWAY! Thanks for sharing. I'm down with the wine price though! :)

Kasia said...

I had to laugh very badly when I read your post about the lack of non-stick spray and Cheddar or American cheese. I can feel your pain, since I miss so many of my national products, since I moved to Switzerland (and I only moved in Europe). But don't give up! I heard that in Belgium cheeses are really good, maybe you can check Carrefour for Cheddar, I think I had seen it there. And in our local shop I saw recently some non-stick spray, not the trade you mentioned, but I think it was Dr. Oetker.
No worries, food here is as well hillariously expensive, but I guess that's just how it is ;) I enjoy reading your blog. Take care!