Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Is it really October already?

I was amazed to look at the calendar today and realize that tomorrow it will have been six weeks since we arrived in Brussels. In some ways it seems like we've been here much longer, but in others - acquiring language skills for instance - it's hard to believe it's been that long. I'm not sure what kind of miracle I was expecting, but I guess I'd hoped we would be a little further along than we are when it comes to French in particular. We've just finished the first week of our French course though, so I'm sure soon we'll feel more capable with the language.

As for culture shock, after discussing it briefly together we really can't say that we've felt all that much of a shock. There is enough that is familiar or at least similar to the States to lessen the impact, and I think we're both pretty good at adjusting to new surroundings quickly. Perhaps once the "honeymoon" phase wears off completely we'll feel differently? My friend Lyndsay (hi if you're reading!) said it took several months for it to wear off when she moved to Germany, so I guess we'll have to wait and see!

The final update: we have a trip planned this weekend, to Bruges/Brugge in northwest Belgium. Bruges is probably the most visited place in the country, and we can't wait to find out why! We're taking the train there early Saturday morning and plan to return late Monday morning. I promise to post a trip report and some photos, probably on Tuesday!

No comments: