Friday, September 14, 2007

Ghent pictures, as promised!






Well I'm a day late with uploading the photos from the Ghent trip, but hopefully you'll all forgive me because I think they turned out pretty well even though it wasn't the greatest picture-taking weather (hey, it's Belgium!). I neglected to take any pictures of myself or my travel companion though - oops, guess I'll try to remember to photograph people and not just "stuff" next time!

Anyway, the first photo is of St. Baaf's cathedral, which houses a famous painting called "Adoration of the Mystic Lamb". It's one of the earliest known oil paintings (1432), but because neither Johanna or I happens to be an art buff, we didn't pay to go into the room where it's housed. I took that picture, as well as the next one showing a view of the old city, from the Belfort, a belfry from the 14th century. The third picture is of the Gravensteen Castle, complete with turrets, moat and all...it was built in the 12th century (wow!), so it's the real deal! The last few are of the canals and surrounding buildings in the old city, taken from either a bridge or the boat on which we took a 50 minute cruise - which was well worth it by the way!

I will definitely be returning to Ghent again, since Carl didn't get to go with me this time. I wouldn't mind staying overnight next time as well, to have a chance to enjoy the city at night.

No comments: