Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pablo the Belgian Mexican

This past weekend we finally got around to trying the most popular Mexican restaurant in Brussels, Pablo's. The restaurant's website proclaims: "Our food is so authentic that many ex-pats from the United States keep coming back, as well as others who appreciate this level of quality and authenticity."


Generally speaking, we agree - sort of. As you can see in the photo, they've definitely got the decor right, and while it wasn't the best Tex-Mex food we've ever had, it was good. The only problem - it's freakin' expensive!! I ordered a basic chicken burrito with rice and beans, and it was €18. At the current (all-time low, ouch!!) exchange rate of about $1.48, that works out to $26.64...for a BURRITO!! The total bill for our two dishes, two beers and tip came to a whopping €48, or about $71! Unbelievable - and it goes without saying that no matter how much we're craving it, we cannot afford to "keep coming back" like the website says. We'll just have to settle for the Mexican meals I put together at home, which will taste even better now knowing how much cheaper they are than the alternative! :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok-for almost $27 bucks? YOU BET those home-made burritos are going to be MIGHTY tastey...yikes. I mean....SERIOUSLY-YIKES! I'm afraid to ask what Carl ordered!!

Anonymous said...

At those prices, it would be cheaper if I went down to Chipotle and just bought each of you about 4burrito's each (probably in the bowl), packed them on dry ice, and shipped them to you via DHL. At least that way you'd get 4 meals for the price. Let me know if you want me to do that for you.

Kasia said...

Oh boy, and I thought that Switzerland was expensive! I'm so sorry for you guys! I'm sure that you can get ingredients way cheaper in the Carrefour or any other local food market (here a pack of tortilas costs between 4-6CHF. I think that's alright, but Kristen says that's still more pricey than in US :D). I have impression that for Americans living in Europe the lack of Mexican food is killing ;) BUt I guess that what is Mexican for Americans, for Europeans is Turkish food :D

Miz K said...

It's true - there is NO substitute for the Mexican we can get at home, flavor or price-wise. I'm with you - we're making our own. We just had some visitors and they brought me canned green chilis - woot!

Miz K said...

PS Gobble gobble from Switzerland!