Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Burning questions

People are naturally very curious about our decision to leave our jobs, sell our townhome and come to Belgium this past year. I can't blame them, because it's a rather unusual and bold thing for two established individuals in their 30's to do! For the most part I have been asked the same handful of questions by everyone, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to address some of them here, for those of you who are curious but haven't asked!

"How did you come up with the idea of going to Belgium in the first place?"
It started with a web search for graduate schools overseas. We didn't know much about Belgium so it was really the University of Kent program that attracted Carl to come here. We were both thrilled at the idea of living in another country, so it came down to which school offered the best program for the money. Kent had the right program at an attractive price, so Belgium it was!

"How can you afford to do this?"
Well we certainly aren't independently wealthy (unfortunately!), so this move has come at a sacrifice. Our funding comes from various sources, but generally speaking it's a combination of (non-retirement) savings, profits from the sale of our property in the U.S., student loans and small amounts of income earned here. We've put ourselves on a tight budget, but we're still having a great time and will have some cash left over at the end to re-establish ourselves once this is all over.

"What do you do with your time (directed more at me than Carl)?"
This is by far the question I've been asked the most. I think perhaps it's because we all wonder at least a little bit what we would do with ourselves and our time if we didn't have full-time jobs and/or family responsibilities. As for me, I've kept reasonably busy, but I'm not the type-A personality who always has to be doing something. As a result, some days I've been content to simply curl up with a good book or read up on a topic I don't know much about. My knowledge of the news and current events has improved dramatically, and I've become quite good at our weekly "pub quiz" trivia tournaments! I've also spent time studying both French and Dutch, editing papers for Carl and his classmates, training for and running a marathon, as well as planning several trips on a rather tight budget (planning independent budget travel is really quite time-consuming!). I am reaching the point where I look forward to "working" again, but I am very grateful to have had this time to take a step back from my career, explore new interests and get to know myself better! Such a hiatus obviously comes at a risk, but for me it has been more than worth it!

"Where are you heading next?"
We're really hoping to stay here in Europe, whether in Brussels or elsewhere. We've both applied for jobs in Paris, and Carl also has applied at an organization in Switzerland. We're focusing mainly on French-speaking regions because that's the language we're both most comfortable with (with Spanish being a close second for me), but for the right opportunity we would consider going anywhere. If nothing comes through job-wise here in Europe we will be returning to the USA around early September, most likely to San Diego (Carl's family lives there), to continue our job search from there. After that I have no idea where we'll end up, but I'll be sure to let you know as the situation develops!

"Do you miss the USA?", "Do you want to come back?" and various other iterations of the homesickness question.
Well, not really. Sometimes I think longingly of Chipotle burritos and the ease of being able to communicate in my native language, but I've adjusted pretty well to the European lifestyle and I think if we go back I will miss just as many things about here as I do about the States. I'll be a little bit sad if we can't stay here, but the USA is still my home country, and of course I wouldn't be upset to return there.

Got any other questions? Add them as a comment to this post and I'll do my best to answer them!

6 comments:

Carl E said...

Just in case anyone reading this is curious, I second all of the comments made by Jen. We've really adjusted to the European life as we walk EVERYWHERE or take mass transit (Chuck and Sue, I'm sure you're proud!) if its too far to walk! We both REALLY enjoy our neighborhood as well. There is a bakery, butcher shop, Supermarket, trams/metros/buses, laundry and of course, a chocolate shop and many café's and restaurants all within a 5 minute walk!! Overall, we're very lucky to have had this opportunity and we're making the best of it while also trying to see if we can continue this lifestyle by getting jobs!! :-) Wish us luck!!

Miz K said...

I know the feeling and really really hope you find a way to stay here! (Preferably in Switzerland, but anywhere else works, too!) Great post and we're keeping our fingers crossed for you!

Bree said...

San Diego will most certainly welcome you both back should your decision to come home (USA) ends up taking place. The Padres kinda of bite right now, but there's always the Chargers...and all of Carl's crazy family living here. That in and of itself should just OVERWHELM you with excitement!!! :)
Miss you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found your blog by searching for information on Kent's graduate school in Brussels. My husband just accepted a 3-year work assignment in Brussels and, for all of the reasons you mentioned, we just can't turn it down. The only downside is that, like you, I won't be able to work.

I'm planning on using this opportunity to go back to grad school and have found Kent's program very attractive. However, my hope is that upon completion I will be able to find a job within Belgium (and thus be able to work for the remaining two years of my husband's assignment). Has your husband's experiences with Kent proved useful in finding a position in Belgium? Is Switzerland or the United States the only place that he is able to find opportunities?

Thanks in advance for your insight! I really enjoy reading your blog, keep up the great work!

Carl E said...

Just to help your out J Sands, Switzerland is loaded with international organizations. Thus, working for them only entails that your citizen country, the U.S., be a member and a special work permit is not needed. Otherwise, the work permit is the HARDEST part for ANY American trying to find a get a job in Europe. The employer must demonstrate to the Commune of which the business resides, that you as an American, posses skills/traits that no European citzen or National posseses. It's a lot of extra paperwork for the employer and from what I've heard, a real pain in the butt! If you'd like to know more details about the school or have any questions about some of the progams, feel free to email me directly at c_ervin@fastmail.us I'd be happy to answer as many questions as possible!! And as far as usefulness to find a job in Beligum after the classes end, I would say that you might have a better opportunity to since you know you will be here another 2 years after the program ends. My suggestions would be to apply for internships when you get here and if you plan on going to school. It is a VERY educated job pool though, and do not be discouraged if you don't even get an interview. "European-ise" your resume too including DOB and Nationality. I was lucky enough to find an Internship, and some lead to jobs after the intership is over. Mine, unfortunately will not as they won't have the funding or opportunities for me to continue. But it's a great experience and something to place on my CV! Hope this helps, again, contact me directly for further info!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your advice! I will keep looking into programs. Best of luck in Switzerland! It is one of my favorite countries - beautiful surroundings, delicious food and friendly people (once you get to know them...)!