Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Results

Okay this is going to be short because we're both exhausted and want to squeeze in a nap before our celebratory dinner this evening, but I promised I would let you know how we did. Well, WE DID IT!!! We both finished successfully, and while we're a little worse for the wear and hobbling around like we're 90 years old, we're okay.

We're still waiting for the official chip timer results, but based on the time we kept on our watches, I finished in just over 4:35, and Carl in 4:39. I am ecstatic because I was aiming for under 5:00, and the pie-in-the-sky goal was 4:30, so I almost made it! Carl is a little disappointed with his time, but he had a really painful problem in the arch of one of his feet that came up around kilometer 28 (the marathon is 42.2 km), so by the time he neared the end of the race the pain was just too much and he had to slow down. Still, sheer determination helped him finish despite the constant pain, so without a doubt we are both happy with the results - especially considering that neither of us had ever done something like this before!

I'll post more once we get some rest, and hopefully we'll get some good photos from the race photographer that I can share with you as well. Till then, nighty night! :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you both! We are so impressed! Rest & Rejuvinate.
-Dave & Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of both of you. A job well done.
Mom

Melanie said...

Wow congratulations to you both!! What a great accomplishment and in such a neat place!!
-Melanie

Miz K said...

Soooo impressed! C'est le pied!

Anonymous said...

congratulations to both of you! respect! Although I did not watch you running, I know you did a great job! I had the chance to watch people passing km29 and I have to say I was overwhelmed by all the young and also old(!) people fighting themselves!!! I take my had off :) Conny

Bree said...

you guys are TOTALLY my hero's! I hobble around like a 90 year old NORMALLY-I don't have a marathon to blame! Congrats on hunkering down and finishing with great time results. Look forward to the pictures