Sunday, April 5, 2009

Finished, and Still Among the Living!

So we both finished today, and all is well. I had a great run, was on track to meet my goal of 4:15 up through the 30th kilometer, but at that point it became clear that I just couldn't keep up that pace all the way until the end. So in the end I finished with a time of 4:23:36, but I'm not disappointed in the least because it's still 11:33 better than I did last year! :-)

Carl sadly didn't have it so easy - the poor guy (AGAIN!) came into this race with an injury that wasn't healed, and this time it was even worse for him than last year. I'm pretty sure he was in significant pain for the entire race, but he perservered and didn't give up when I'm sure most people (I include myself here as well) surely would have done so. He finished with a time of 5:23:26, and I'm very proud and impressed that he managed that under the circumstances. He did great, and I REALLY hope he'll be healthy for his next race and be able to run the kind of time he deserves to have!

Okay well I'm completely exhausted so will sign off now, in the hopes of perhaps squeezing in a nap before dinner. Thanks everyone for all of the encouragement, kind words and positive thoughts you've sent our way!

4 comments:

Volker said...

Carl, you're my hero of this year's Paris marathon!!!! Yor rock!!! And you've got a very fast wife by the way :-)))

Gail said...

That's my girl!!! Congrats to 2 tenacious people.

Bree said...

you guys are my hero's.... congrats.

Kelly said...

Good Job to both of you. Just being able to do a marathon is absolutely impressive to me, that alone going the speed you two go and Carl with an injury. Kudo's to both of you.