Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Trappist Tradition

I know I've mentioned the impressive array of truly excellent beer available in Belgium before, and the country's reputation for brewing is certainly known worldwide. There is however, a small category of beers for which Belgium is particularly famous, and that is the Trappist brews.

The Trappists are a branch of the Cisterian order of monks, and they live in about 170 monasteries around the world. They support themselves primarily through manual labor and the sale of goods produced at the monastery. For seven of the Trappist monasteries, that includes beer brewed by the monks themselves, and six of these are located in Belgium (the 7th is in the Netherlands). To be called a Trappist beer, there are strict rules surrounding the brewing process, and laws exist to prevent the misuse of the title by non-Trappist operations.

The seven Trappist abbey-breweries are:
Achel
Chimay
Koningshoeven (Netherlands)
Orval
Rochefort
Westmalle
Westvleteren

Having tasted five of these seven beers (all except Koningshoeven and Westvleteren), I can tell you that they are among the best you'll find anywhere. Chimay is my personal favorite, my favorite beer in the world in fact! Carl's favorite is Westmalle, and we both recently cemented our "fan" status by purchasing the official glasses of both beers so we can enjoy the full Trappist beer experience at home!

Cheers!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like Chimay also. Only place I know to get one here in Portland is Gustav's. So, have one for me. :-)

Jen said...

Higgins Restaurant & Bar at SW Broadway and 12th has it too, but the place ain't cheap! If you've never been there before I'd highly recommend it, amazing food and an impressive selection of beer and wine!
An alternative - you could just come and visit, and enjoy all the fine Belgian beer your heart desires!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, happy new year!
I hope you remember me ;-)
Chimay is one of my favourites too.
Belgian beer is getting so famous in Japan that I can buy some in Tokyo!...but of course, I have to pay 3-4times more. I'm definitely going to miss Belgian beer and chocolate, although I'm happy to go back home.

Kasia said...

You look very stylish with your Chimay! I remember that it used to be my favourite Belgium beer, but I don't do beer anymore :(

Bree said...

I was introduced to Chimay when my BFF Dee was attending Stanford University and living in San Francisco, (yes the city) served at some "shiek bar" around 1993-been hooked ever since. Fortunately-my local liquor store sells it :) So when I'm back on the bottle? I'll be hittin' the Chimay!!