Thursday, November 6, 2008

Europe's Love Affair with Obama

Okay, so I don't want to spark a big political debate here, because the election is over and we have a new President-elect...but I feel I have to spend a few lines of my blog describing the mood in Brussels following the US Presidential Election.

It has received lots of coverage so I'm sure everyone is well aware that most Europeans strongly favored Barack Obama and are thrilled at the results. The cover of the French version of today's Metro (a local daily "commuter" paper) translates to "Obama's American Dream" and is covered with a huge photo of a smiling, waving Obama as well as photos of numerous teary-eyed, ecstatic Obama supporters...subtle, eh? When Carl went to work yesterday he was also asked about the election from practically everyone he encountered. He's the only American working on his floor and it seems everyone was particularly interested in talking to him about it. To put it quite simply, people here are both happy and excited, to say the least!

I've heard it said that Obama has some pretty massive expectations to live up to, and I think that couldn't be more true, particularly when it comes to transatlantic relations. Time will tell if he is able to meet such high expectations, but the enthusiasm and positive reaction to a US election from this side of the pond is certainly something that hasn't been seen for a while. And if that enthusiasm translates into better cooperation and understanding between the US and the EU, that's got to be a good thing, right?

'Nuff said!!

2 comments:

Miz K said...

Wheee totally unrelated BUT if you guys have nothing planned on 26 November, I HIGHLY recommend you go check out Martina Topley Bird in Brussels. Saw her tonight and it was one of the bets shows I've been to in years! You can find a ton of her music on Youtube if you're not familiar. Wow!

Bree said...

OMG-for ONCE American's are actually...*looking around paranoidly* not seen as complete and utter PIGS of the earth? WOOOO! Hell I'll take that as a positive ANY day of the week.

Oh, and sis? It's nice to see you type "We have a new president..." as opposed to the US has a new president...always afraid I'm gonna lose you and my bro to EUR.

Well, here it goes...*clearing through* GOD BLESS THE USA!!!