Sunday, March 16, 2008

We did it!!

Today was the big day as far as our marathon training is concerned. It's the longest training run we do to get ready for the race, and it's 32 km (20 miles), so it's a big deal and the date has been looming on our training calendar for some time. Well we did it - YEAH!! Although it wasn't easy and our leg muscles are pretty sore - you'd laugh if you saw me try to get up after sitting down for a while - we feel great overall and are thrilled to still be injury-free! We now head into the final 3-week "taper down" phase of the training, with about as much confidence as two first-time marathoners can have of their ability to finish.

Race day is Sunday, April 6th, so keep an eye out for a celebratory blog post and hopefully some pictures (if I'm able to get someone from our University of Kent group who isn't running to take some with my camera). In the meantime, I've got a couple of amusing "after" photos from today. Carl finished before me and I told him to take his own picture before showering, so that's why his pic is just a head shot - he looks tired, doesn't he? As for mine, they were taken about 30 minutes after I finished, and I was just acting goofy...I might not look tired but believe me, I was (and still am)! Safe to say we'll both sleep REALLY well tonight!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you. 20 miles, that's quite an accomplishment. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of you on race day.

Miz K said...

Woooo hoo! My "after" pic would have involved a wheelchair - amazing job!

Debbie said...

Wow! That's no Shamrock Run! You guys are awesome. We are cheering for you.

Debbie said...

Wow! This is so exciting. We are definitely cheering for you both!

Kasia said...

Congrats! Well done! I will be cheering for you guys!